Poland, 16/07/2012.- Fr. Zygmunt Labun SDB from ZMB Vice Province who was currently in Poland for some medicals has passed away this morning in Poland after the vehicle in which he was travelling was crushed by a local train. Fr. Zyga (as he was known in ZMB) died along with his brother and sister-in-law; their vehicle was at a railway cross when i was impacted by a train.
The Provincial of ZMB Fr. George Chalissery was informed of this tragic event by Fr. Joseph Czerwinski who is at this moment in Poland. Fr. George is currently in Zimbabwe waiting for the Relics of Don Bosco to arrive from South Africa as it begins its tour in the ZMB countries.
My Dear Confreres,
Greetings from Don Bosco Harare. We are all shocked and saddened with the tragic accident in which our beloved Fr Zygmunt, his brother and Sister-in-law perished. We do have a little more information. This morning, they were in a car crossing an unmanned railway crossing. Unfortunately as they were crossing the tracks, a passing train crashed into them and they died on the spot at the place called Reda near Wejeherowo. This evening there was a Mass for them at the Provincial House in which our confreres and FMA from Lusaka communities took part. We continue to keep them in our prayers.
The Rector Major and our Regional had sent messages of condolences to all of us in ZMB assuring us of their closeness to us at this moment of great sorrow. Bishop Clement Mulenga, Sr Julienne, the Mother Provincial, and several of you had sent messages of condolences and assurance of prayers. Thank you very much for your support.
As soon as I get more information, I will let you know.
A short life- history of Fr Zygmunt Labun SDB
· Born 17.11.1964 in Chocielewo, Slupsk, Diocese of Koszalin. His parents were Leon and Stefania.
· He did his Novitiate at Czerwinsk from 01 August 1989 till 22 August 1990, and made his first Profession at Czerwinsk 22 August 1990
· He was a member of the Pila Province in Poland, till 31 January 1994
· From 31 January 1994 he was a member of ZMB Vice Province
· His final profession was in Lufubu 31 May 1997
· He was ordained a Priest at Lufubu, on 23 May 1999, by Bishop Aaron Chisa, bishop of Mansa
· He worked for almost ten years in Lufubu then in Kabwe.
· His new assignment was at Don Bosco, Chingola. But God has called him to Himself on 16 July 2012. R.I.P.
Fr. George Chalissery